Seth Godin is a marketing genius. He features a deep understanding of the human psyche which may be a winning formula for successful marketing. Godin is the author of over 18 books. Free Prize Inside was a Forbes Business Book of the Year in 2004, while Purple Cow sold over 150,000 copies in more than 23 print runs in its first two years. The Dip was a Business Week and New York Times bestseller; Business Week also named Linchpin among its “20 of the best books by the most influential thinkers in business” on November 13, 2015. In the early 1990s, he curated a 10-book series for children titled Worlds of Power. Each of the book’s plots is based on a video game.
In June 2013, Godin raised more than $250,000 from readers with a Kickstarter campaign, which in turn secured him a book contract with his publisher for his book “The Icarus Deception.” Godin was inducted into the American Marketing Association’s Marketing Hall of Fame in 2018.
Let’s look at some Seth Godin quotes:
To Niche Or to not Niche?
– Yes. it’s extremely important to specialise in a distinct segment market as against a broad market or industry.
– No, there’s no conflict. the littlest viable market is that the biggest insight any company can have.
– Become meaningful specific, not a wandering generality. Play to your minimum viable audience.
– Specialists get the critical mass.
– Get very specific: “We concentrate on THIS only”
– The goal isn’t to be famous to everyone. you can’t be this, it’s to be famous to the family, to the circle.
– Find the littlest viable group of individuals who will hear you and solve their problems. Smaller niche is usually bigger.
Seth on Hustle:
– There are two differing types of Hustle: one that uses people and can eventually get you burned.
– the opposite is reputable and respectable Hustle which revolves around generosity and connection.
Seth on Choosing the Proper Clients:
– Pick your clients!
– Fire those that are wasting some time and energy because they not pushing you to try to to great work.
– If you’ll make that commitment, then six months from now your client list will look different, you’ll not be working more hours, you’ll be making extra money but more importantly you’ll be making a much bigger difference.
Seth says, he knows it’s hard to try to to , but whenever he has done this in his career – he was glad he did it!
Seth Godin on the worth of Video to Support Sales and Marketing:
– Given the selection , only a few people will read if they will watch video instead.
– The hierarchy of attention is: SMS, email, video, and much at rock bottom … reading.
– it’s never been easier to form video than it’s today.
– Making mediocre video is super easy.
– It doesn’t appear to be a brief cut, but paying an excessive amount of to form good video may be a short cut! Make it work, either way.
On Creating Tension:
– How does one sell something to someone who hasn’t bought it before? Create TENSION.
– Tension always accompanies progress .
– there’s always someone cheaper than you, experienced than you.
– But if you’re causing alittle dent within the universe, pushing against someone’s experience because the established order , then they’re going to pick you.
– Create that tension of creating people realize there’s a drag that you’re the answer .
On Creating Scarcity:
– If there is no scarcity, customers will pick the most cost effective or closest option.
– Create SCARCITY to make VALUE.